D-Link provides a wide variety of networking hardware to the users which include some very reliable routers, extenders, adapters, cloud cameras and more. They provide some of the most reliable and high performance routers for numerous specific purposes such as gaming, video streaming or just the basic web browsing. The user needs to initially setup the D-Link router to be able to use it. After making the physical connections and setting up the D-Link router, the user will need to login to the router to further secure their D-Link router so that any unauthorized user trying to gain access to the user’s network is denied. Logging in to the router also provides numerous added benefits for the user. The user will be able to configure, control, personalize, monitor and even repair their network themselves without any problems. The user can simply login using http://dlinkrouter.local web domain and enter the default credentials whenever prompted. It’s a very simple process and only takes a couple of seconds.
The user must also change the username and password for their D-Link router after initially logging in to it. This will help the users eliminate the idea of unauthorized users or anyone else from their neighborhood accessing their network without their permission. The D-Link routers have a very convenient web based interface that lets the user change the username and password, along with numerous other settings and configurations regarding the network. The user must also update the firmware of the router in order to make sure that the router stays compatible with the latest media devices and so that the security on the router is kept in check and up to date. This way, the user’s network will not be vulnerable to any potential threats. The firmware update also provides enhanced speeds and may even add some new features to the router.
Here, we will help the users with the initial configurations of the D-Link router regarding the setup and login, the reset process, the username and password change and to update the firmware of the D-Link router.
Here are the troubleshooting steps to initially setup the D-Link router:
Before the initial setup, the user must have:
- Enough Ethernet cables for the necessary connections.
- A working internet connection.
- A working desktop computer or a laptop for the initial setup and login.
Here are the steps:
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router located at the back of the D-Link router.
- Now, connect another Ethernet cable from the desktop computer to any of the four internet ports of the router, also located at the back of the D-Link router.
- Reboot all the three devices and wait for the devices to finish the reboot.
Now, the router will have been setup successfully. Now, the user will need to login to the device.
Troubleshooting steps to login to the D-Link router using http://dlinkrouter.local:
- Open any internet browser and type http://dlinkrouter.local in the address bar to access the router admin page for D-Link routers.
- Type in the default username and password for the router whenever prompted in the fields provided.
- The Setup Wizard will display. The Wizard will guide you through a few steps to further configure the network initially.
- The Wizard will try to detect the type of connection that the user has. For all the wired connections, the wizard will pick the Dynamic IP (DHCP). Click Next to proceed.
Now, the user will have successfully logged in to the D-Link router. From here, the user can further take some steps to secure their network.
Troubleshooting steps to reset the D-Link router:
- Press the reset button located at the back of the D-Link router within a very small hole.
- Hold the reset button for about ten seconds.
- Release the button. Wait for the router to finish rebooting. Once the router has been rebooted successfully, the reset process will have been successful.
All the personalized settings of the user will be reset once the router is reset. This process is irreversible.
Do not interrupt or unplug the router from its power source during the update as it can damage the router.
Troubleshooting steps to change the username and password for the D-Link router:
- Open any internet browser and type http://dlinkrouter.local in the address bar of the browser.
- Login with the help of the default credentials regarding the router. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Once the user is on the web based interface of the router, click the Wireless Options tab.
- Three, the user will see the Network Name (SSID) and the Network Key (passphrase) option.
- In the respective fields, the user can enter the new information as per their wish.
- Click the Save option to keep the implemented changes.
Now, the D-Link router network will have a new username and password. The user can reconnect all their devices using the new username and password.
Do not enter any password hint within the username as the username is visible to nearby devices.
Do not share the password with everyone.
Troubleshooting steps to update the firmware for the D-Link router:
- Open any internet browser on the device that is connected to the Netgear router via an Ethernet cable.
- Go to the D-Link Support Site and download the latest firmware of your router. Make sure that you type in the model number of the router correct. Download and save the file to the desired location.
- Now, open up another internet browser and type http://dlinkrouter.local in the address bar. Enter the default credentials regarding the D-Link router. The username and password are case sensitive.
- Select Administration under the ADVANCED tab.
- Chose the Firmware Update option.
- Click Choose File to locate the previously downloaded file.
- Click Open. Then click on Update option to begin the update.
Now, the firmware update will begin. The process usually takes a couple of minutes of the user’s time depending on the speed of the internet. Once the update has been completed successfully, the user can start using their D-Link router as they desire.
Do not download the firmware from any third party websites.
Do not remove the router from the power source during the update as it can potentially damage the router.